posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

Default Best PC-based Chart display software?

Lloyd wrote:
Hi,

I have Maptech Ocean Navigator software (came with the CD)to show
the NDI charts and my GPS-based position. I don't like it. It's too
big (takes FOREVER to load!), too complex, and for all the features,
I can't figure out simple things like getting it to auto-load a new
chart when my GPS-based boat goes off the display.

Any opinions on what I should look at? Fugawi? OziExplorer?
Something else? Note that it needs to read BSB *VERSION 4* charts
(which apparently are completely different from version 3 BSB )

Also, if anybody knows any program that runs on Linux that can
read the Ver 4 BSB charts, that would be good too (I only found ones
that read Ver 3)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

You will gather from the replies that there isn't any "best", it simply
depends on the subjective opinions of the many users' preferences.

Dennis.