posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Terry Spragg

Default The Solar Panel Simulator!

Kees Verruijt wrote:

MMC wrote:

When I was about 12 I wanted the version advertised in comic books that
allowed the wearer to see through clothes. Based on my experiences since,
I'm glad I didn't get them!
MMC

"Larry" wrote in message

"See through walls with these X-ray glasses!"

Does anybody know what you actually got (typically) when you actually
ordered these?

Just curious,

A friend showed me a pair he ordered from a comic. It was some kind
of flat lens with concentric grooves that unfocussed your eye so
that you saw a blur, somewhat darker in the middle of the image,
that suggested what an x ray might look like. They did not do as
advertised.

Another form of "no prescription" glasses, has lenses consisting of
a piece of black plastic perforated with many small holes, each one
in effect a pinhole lens. In bright light they actually worked. I
know because I am quite myopic, yet could see well with these "snow
blindness sunglasses," even if only in passing your eyes over what
you wanted to see, like a sign, but I could see very much better
with them than without any lenses at all. Not much good in the dark,
though. They might actually be useful for a person in daylight whho
has lost his coke bottle lenses, even if finding the emergency
spares aboard a tossing sailboat might prove difficult for a person
as nearly blind as myself. Perhaps if they were lime green? One
would hope they would float, even if an optional floating eyglass
tether harness was required.

I wish I had had such a floating retainer when I barfed my guts and
my teeth overboard, 25 years ago.

I have since been told that such lenses will improve myopic eyes
over time, but did not wear them to any length at all. I cannot
believe that optometrists or occularists would not suggest a cure as
opposed to a continuing treatment.

Not much, I can't.

Last time I took my son in for a fresh prescription, I wound up in
an arguement with the occularist who doubles as a dispensing
optometrist in his "studio" about the benefits of polarised clip on
magnetic sunglasses as opposed to the 100 dollar "UV protecting"
non-polarised patented mounting stylish crap he was pushing. He
actually drew me out for about 5 minutes in his office in front of
customers, refusing to believe that polarised were possibly worth
about 50 bucks or less, while the UV dark lenses he was offering
were not actually worth any more than dime store shades.

I went out to my truck to get my polarised sailing glasses to
demonstrate, wherupon he lost interest in the discussion. My 18 year
old son was mortified, probably still is.

Strangely, polarised glasses and mirrors do not get along very well,
nor do they with LCD displays.

Terry K