posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Default "Oh god, I'm glad to see you. I'm alive!"

"DSK" wrote in message

Sounds like a good day to stay indoors with a hot cup of
something.

Sounds like the vessel was ill prepared to provide such basic comforts.

Funny thing, 25 knot winds aren't (or shouldn't be) too
difficult to cope with, but cold air is much more dense and
that makes a given wind speed more powerful. And then of
course, being cold weakens the body on top of that.

Again... it seems like the vessel was ill prepared to provide for it's crew. Warmth and nourishment to maintain the body are a real requirement in a heavy sea.

Putting the rail in shouldn't be bad. Why the trouble
controlling course? That is an indication of something
either going wrong or about to go wrong.

I disagree there Doug.... I don't think that way in a rough sea.... rail in the water is fine at times.... but it is totally uncalled for in rough conditions. It seems as if proper trim was not established.

From a summary viewpoint... he had equipment failure that may have been prevented. He did not rig his vessel to undertake the sea conditions and did not have adequate means of keeping himself warm and dry while in the elements.

From sailing in cold and rough conditions for many years it is paramount to never underestimate what you may encounter. Warm dry clothing for such and even worse conditions are available. Proper outfitting of the vessel to provide hot coffee underway in almost any seastate is critical. Double checking all gear prior to departure is extremely important.

If you live through it and learn from it.. it's adventure.

CM

Interesting story and some challenging situations that bear
thinking about. Thanks for posting this, Bart.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King