Wayne.B

Default Help, my small ship has come in, I have a dream!

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:34:55 -0600, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

Really? Why would that be? I have been canoeing in 50KPH winds (not fun I
tell) without capsizing. I have been in 2-3 meter waves without capsizing.
Why should I capsize in the Bahamas if I am not there in the hurricane season?

50KPH is about 25 to 30 knots. Not an everyday occurrence in the
Bahamas but fairly frequent any time of year. With that kind of wind
and a strong opposing current (not uncommon), you can get some very
steep breaking seas which routinely capsize 20 to 24 foot powerboats
weighing thousands of pounds. Don't think it can't happen to you.

In the winter months the bad weather comes mostly from northerly cold
fronts but you can also get thunder squalls at any time. It sounds
like you are mentally and physically prepared for some tough going,
and if so, you'll probably do all right. Do not expect a walk in the
park however.