posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default Trailerable Sailboats

Capri wrote:
Hi awhile ago I sold my Westsail 32, after many long years of fine
service. I just can't afford the slip fees any longer.

These things come & go in cycles. Ironically enough the
"waterfront is too valuable to waste on boaters" cycle is
peaking at the same time the "let's go ahead and pollute the
heck out of the water while there's still some left" cycle
seem to have peaked at the same time. Just think of the look
on those rich condo-dwellers faces when they realize they've
got a front row seat on a cess pool.

.... Anyway, It's really hard being
without a boat, so I have been thinking about a trailerable sailboat as
there is plenty of room next to the house to store the boat on a
trailer.

You can afford a house but not a boat??

... Something in the 18-20' range. My offshore days are in the
past so she will pretty much spend her time on the ICW and the St Johns
River with an occasional venture offshore if the weather is
exceptional. A boat that is large enough to have a small cabin yet
small enough for one man to rig. Does anyone know where I might start
my search? what boats I might start looking at?

Yep, sure do.

Since you like the classic type, start out with a Com-Pac
16. Small, shippy, easily handled, not expensive... a fun
boat. They also make a newer catboat version in some sizes
up into the 20+ foot range, they are really easy to rig up
and roomier, but have a higher price tag.

How about
http://www.boatshow.com/BayHen.html
one of these in our sailing club, a classic looking and
smart-sailing little boat... a bit tippy like all sharpies,
and not enough room in the cabin for a real party, but all
boats are a compromise

Or
http://www.sailingtexas.com/sdovekiea.html
unfortunately this particular one is gone but these are
awesomely practical little boats.

My wife and I sailed & cruised in a water-ballast Hunter 19
for some years, and found that to be unmatched by any
trailerable I ever saw for easy handling on water or wheels,
room & comfort, and sailing characteristics. But I doubt
you'd like the looks of it, I never particularly did. We
sailed in company with a lot of trailerable sailors and I
was constantly amazed at how tippy, cramped, unhandy (people
spend hours rigging & unrigging, but if you ask them "it
only takes 15 minutes" is the standard reply) most
trailerables are. So careful shopping is in order unless you
already know exactly what you are willing to compromise on.

BTW the recommendation of a West Wight Potter is also a good
one.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King