posted to rec.boats.electronics
SaltAir

Default Best PC-based Chart display software?

I never played with the Capt. I really liked Chartview Pro from Nautical
sotware but it ended up being rolled into Nobeltec. Now, to get all its
features I would need to have Nobeltec Aldml for $1200. Little things stood
out for examle, minimal mouse clicks to get things done. Complete screen
intensity control in night vision. The ability to see time to any waypoint
in a route from a simple dropdown menu to name just a few.

Of the current programs I gotta pick Coastal Explorer. They seem to be
paying attention to Navigators needs. It has good AIS support. It reads any
S57 chart not just NOAA ENC as is the case with Nobeltec 8. Touchscreen
friendly. I would say that they are going to be around for a while as they
are also the Core of Maptechs new offering that includes many DVD's of US
TOPO/NAUTICAL data as well as 3D rendering .

If thats to much for you budget OSN is still a good bet. Under a hundred
bucks (free with canadian charts), intigrated tides and currents, good nav
tools and proper night vision (red). True there is no Quilting. IIRC the way
around that is when the chart is coming to an end you right click near the
edge and choose the next chart with a left click. The other way of dealing
with chart changes was to "link charts". I think its a little square tick
box on the lower left screen.

SaltAir

"Glen "Wiley" Wilson" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:49:14 GMT, "SaltAir" wrote:

Forgot Ozi now has quilting. I have found that any of the- multi-purpose
(land_sea) have been a bit clunky.

SaltAir

I like Ozi quite a bit, but I agree with your statement. The easiest
on-the-water software I've used is probably CAPN, but I don't care for
it much for other reasons. I think it's a good choice if you just
want to throw something on a PC and have it work.
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/