posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

Default Trailerable Sailboats

"Capri" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi awhile ago I sold my Westsail 32, after many long years of fine
service. I just can't afford the slip fees any longer. I held on as
long as I could but when they decided to turn our marina into a condo
and private marina it was time to sell. Anyway, It's really hard being
without a boat, so I have been thinking about a trailerable sailboat as
there is plenty of room next to the house to store the boat on a
trailer. Something in the 18-20' range. My offshore days are in the
past so she will pretty much spend her time on the ICW and the St Johns
River with an occasional venture offshore if the weather is
exceptional. A boat that is large enough to have a small cabin yet
small enough for one man to rig. Does anyone know where I might start
my search? what boats I might start looking at?

I had a Starwind 19 for a few years. Did quite a few overnights (2 adults)
and took it offshore quite a few times too (Jersey coast). It was a sturdy
little boat and sailed very well. I sold it when I moved. Here is a review I
found online; I'd say it's right on the money.
Scout

Strengths: easy to setup and sail. Trailers like a breeze. Factory
deck plan is adequate with few modifications necessary. handles 25 mph winds
and choppy water surprisingly well. Very stable design with big boat lines.
GREAT boat to learn on before moving up. Large cockpit for the size of boat
(19').
Weaknesses: Not as fast as most some 18-20. Hull rating somewhere
around 5.8 mph. Stern rail guard not necessary, but factory original main
traveler uses the rail guard as a simple traveler system.
Review Summary: Overall a very pleasant boat to sail and own if you
are limited to a trailerable style. Taylor's designs are superb (as now seen
in Precision sailboats) especially where maximizing available space in a
small boat is essential. Wellcraft is known for building brickhouses in boat
hulls. The Starwind 19 is a sturdy as she can be. The construction is
commendable.