Earl Colby Pottinger

Default Help, my small ship has come in, I have a dream!

Wayne.B :

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:09:36 -0600, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

What I don't understand is the number of people who suggest it is a bad

idea but don't say why.

If you stay away from populated areas (civilization), and are
comfortable with managing on your own, you may do OK.

And how many people do you think I am with when I go wilderness camping?
Most trips there rarely have more than one campsite on the same lake. And
even if I go with others they are off doing thier own thing somewhere. If
you can't handle being alone don't do real camping.

No one occupying expensive real estate is going to be
thrilled with you camping out on their door step,

You know, it is amazing what you can get if you appoach the shore and before
landing you ask politely if you can land there. Plus my plans were to go
where people are NOT! If I want to see people there is tons of them in
Toronto to see. I want to see nature. However, I do not enjoy the cold
weather we have up here in Canada at this time of year. And no, 10-25C is
not cold to me. Bahamas in winter time is still warm to me.

one small step up from homless. That
includes marinas, town docks and quite a few parks.

And when have I ever suggested that I was planning to go to such places?

Other than "people" problems, the next biggest issue is the inherent
unseaworthiness of your chosen craft. You WILL be capsized and
swamped at various times, it just goes with the territory.

Really? Why would that be? I have been canoeing in 50KPH winds (not fun I
tell) without capsizing. I have been in 2-3 meter waves without capsizing.
Why should I capsize in the Bahamas if I am not there in the hurricane season?

Plus I have only gone out in that weather when I was up against a hard time
limit, any other time if the weather is bad I just stay inside the tent and
read a book.

Last, so I capsize. I always wear my lifejacket, and it does not matter how
hot it gets as to me 40C is nice weather, all my stuff is in water proof bags
and tied to the canoe with rope. If you ever went canoeing with Ralph you
would understand why. If I go over, I will paddle to the nearest island and
sort things out.

Earl Colby Pottinger

PS. A canoe with all it main load place on the bottom of the canoe is very
stable on water.

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to