NOYB

Default OT--He was wrong then, and he's about to repeat the mistake

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:11:09 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

One thing that I didn't know is that the owners manual states that the A/C
shouldn't be run when operating the outboards over 2500 RPM.

Interesting. I never have that problem with the trawler running at 9
kts. :-) You could probably replace the through hull fitting with a
"scoop" type that would actually force water through the A/C at speed,
but I suppose there's always the risk of losing cooling water to the
generator as well.

I would hope that if the solution was that easy, then Grady would have done
it. But sometimes the simplest things are often overlooked. When I get the
new lift, I'll look at the bottom of the hull to see if there's a scoop-type
pickup. Maybe Grady feels that an offshore boat running 20-30 mph in rough
seas could break the through-hull free from the water, causing the pump to
lose it's prime?

If that's the case, then it wouldn't be a problem in flat seas.

Fuel burn sounds very reasonable for a boat of that size and speed.

I was pretty happy with it. The performance data that Yamaha lists for
their 250 four-strokes gives an optimum cruise of approximately 30 mph,
burning approximately 19 gph. That's 1 mph slower, but a 20% improvement in
overall fuel burn rate. Of course, I was running with 1800 lbs. of fuel,
250 pounds of water, and 5 people on board...and my boat had the additional
weight of the optional generator...plus the drag from all of the eisenglass.