rhys

Default Water in the bilge

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:40:23 -0500, Harlan Lachman
wrote:

Another possible source, especially in heavy rains, is rain going down
high tech masts with lots of internal penetrations for lines. I have
been warned about this with my J/100 in spite of my cover.

The masts don't have to be high-tech...about 90% of my bilge water is
in the sump immediately forward of the mast, and 10% is from the
stuffing box. When I don't run the boat and it rains for several
hours, I get very little in the "aft" bilge, and a few litres in the
forward. It's just coming straight down the mast and dripping off the
step.

R.