sherwindu

Default Marathon, Fl to the Exumas

"Rosalie B." wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

I don't know what Grandma Rosalie's problem is with the Bahamas Guide. It may not have
fancy illustrations and even the latest GPS data ( I haven't checked the latest edition, so maybe
they now include it), but I have made numerous crossing and cruising of the Bahamas and this
publication called Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas is one of the best for an overall guide. The

It is a very good guide, but I liked others better. That's my
opinion, and I'm entitled to express it. You have a different
opinion. You don't need to complain about my opinion to express
yours.

I felt you were just dismissing the Yachtsman's Guide. I think it is one of the best comprehensive
books on the Bahamas. I have bought supplementary books, like 'Cruising Guide to the Abacos and
Northern Bahamas', when I visited those waters.

I find the habit people have of referring to it as "the Bahamas Guide"
(which I did think you might have been doing) as though there were no
other guides quite off putting and uninformative. There aren't that
many more letters to type "Yachtsman's" instead of "Bahamas"

For many years, this guide was the only decent one around, and I imagine
it is still one of the best. I think that rates it as something special.

I didn't like it as well as I expected to, given what everyone else
said about it. However, I did not get this guide until the 2nd time
we went, when I was already somewhat familiar with the Bahamas and had
the other books. I do know that other people tout this guide as the
ultimate in guides for the Bahamas but it did not have a lot of the
things that I found very useful in Wilson's guide (like the phone
number of a dentist in Nassau).

It's nice to know where the dentists are, but more importantly I want
good nautical information that will keep me from going aground, etc.

I found the physical presentation harder to use, the text not as
clear, and I didn't find the sketches that useful although it is an
interesting idea. The Explorer charts have sketches to IIRC.

Things may have changed but in my days, there was no markers to line up
with the approach to Bimini Harbor. The sketch book showed a prominent
building, which helped with that problem. In the Exumas, many of those islands
all look the same, so having a sketch of the shape of them really helps in finding
the entrances to harbors. I have not seen the latest books on the Bahamas, but in
all fairness, Wayne should take a look at the Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas
and compare it to other guides. That book proved to be reliable and very helpful
for my numerous trips to the Bahamas from Walker Cay in the north down to
Great Inagua in the south.

book is compiled and updated by Bahamians and has easy to read presentations with many usefull
things, like sketch charts which show landmarks in places where there are no nautical markers.
It is published by Tropic Isle Publishers, Inc. who can be reached at 305-893-4277. They used to
be in North Miami, Florida. Be aware that the last copy I bought was back in 1997, so this number
may no longer be correct. I see it in most yachting supply stores, so you should have no problem
finding it.

http://yachtsmansguide.com/store/index.php

There is a 2005 edition.

"Wayne.B" wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:03:58 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

I found the "Bahamas
Cruising Guide" by Matthew Wilson to be VERY helpful.

Thanks, just ordered one from Amazon.com

They have the Table of Contents and some excerpts online which is
apparently a new service they are offering.

grandma Rosalie