Matt O'Toole

Default Hydrogen fueled boating

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:49:59 -0500, bowgus wrote:

"Iceland already has a plan to convert from fossil fuels to hydrogen. In
2003, the government, working with a consortium of companies led by Shell
and DaimlerChrysler, took the first step by beginning to convert the capital
city of Reykjavik's fleet of 80 buses from internal combustion to fuel cell
engines. Shell built a hydrogen station to service the buses, using
inexpensive hydroelectricity to produce clean hydrogen. In the next stage,
Iceland's automobiles will be converted to fuel cell engines. And in the
final stage, the Icelandic fishing fleet - the centerpiece of its economy -
also will convert to fuel cells."

The sticky point with hydrogen is that it takes so much energy to
produce. Where are we going to get all this energy, which we're already
short of?

Iceland is blessed with practically unlimited geothermal energy. So they
can produce hydrogen for their own use as well as export.

Matt O.