Matt O'Toole

Default Hydrogen fueled boating

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:23:27 -0800, Dene wrote:

I'm looking into my crystal ball and envisioning being a liveaboard on a
40 foot powerboat, 8 months out of the year, likely stationed in
Savannah. We dream of touring the ICW, Gulf, Caribbean, and the Great
Lakes.

Then we calculate today's fuel costs into the picture and gasp! Will
H-boats being standard in 10-15 years? Will fuel costs drop as supply
demands drops? Will a powerboater will be able to cruise all day for
$50?

You can still do it today with a modest single screw diesel trawler.

It's unfortunate that the mainstream recreational power yacht these days
is a semi-displacement fuel hog. Just say no! There are alternatives.

Is the anchorage 100 miles away really any better than the one half that
far? Life's just as good at 8kt, vs. 15. Also, people will chug around
all day using 50-100% more fuel, not to mention put up with double the
maintenance, just because docking is easier with twin screws. This is
absurd. Learn to drive, and set yourself free...

Matt O.