d parker

Default Water in the bilge

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I am just returning from a boat shopping trip in North East US. I look at
some boat that have been yard maintained and on land for a while . When
lifting the floor board their bilge's were top full of water. The bilge
pumps and float switches were under water. I wonder what the winter sub
zero temperature will do. I have had a sailboat for 24 years and never
had
a bilge full of water. I wonder what could exactly be the cause of this
water accumulation.

Is it a keel stepped mast? You could be leaking at the boot. Or some other
deck fittings may need some sealing . Place a little talcum powder around
supect areas. Check after the next rain and there will be telltale signs of
water flow through the talc.

DP