Skip Gundlach

Default Deep thoughts: More Marathon, but not about the crossing

Hi, List,

So, we're inching toward our departure. Circumstances have it that we'll
need to try to time the Gulf Stream from St. Pete so as to land at Marathon
and hop directly across, being constrained in the time we have available -
waiting a month for the "next" right window won't get it. However, we don't
have to leave on any specific schedule - other than to hightail it once we
weigh anchor.

So, we need to go as directly as possible from St. Pete to Marathon. We
draw over 6' and looking at the detail charts of the Marathon area, it seems
that it's going to be very challenging coming directly from the gulf to the
bridge. The channels we see marked aren't reliably deep.

What's the local knowledge about coming from the north through the bridge
with a deep draft? When we went from Marathon to Key West, going out from
KWW to Charlotte Harbor was no problem (clearly marked, adequate depth),
being a very short ICW ride and the rest a clear shot sailing. Looking at
the charts of the Marathon area don't give me nearly the same warm fuzzy
feeling...

Thanks.

L8R

Skip, in shoulder rehab and PT, and Lydia, continuing to build the boat
kitty until departure, all else sold or given away and the remaining 4
storage buckets moved aboard

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."