Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Diesel troubleshooting

On 7 Mar 2004 17:11:04 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

OK, now for my diagnosis;
The smoke and sheen that I see are unburned diesel.

Agreed.

The cause is low turbo pressure not getting enough air into the cylinders.

It certainly could be that, but that's not the only answer. It could
also be too much fuel entering the chamber.

The low turbo pressure is caused by bad oil seals in the turbos allowing crankcase
pressure to be reduced by the vacuum of the turbo compressor. The question of why
would both engines have the same problem comes up. My theory is; when
changing fuel filters, I use starting fluid to get the fuel to start.
The ether (or other chemicals in the starting fluid) has caused the
seal to deteriorate.

Well, I can certainly buy that as a reason, but it's sort of unlikely
unless you use a whole can of it.

Anyone have any feedback? The engines are honey's. They have never
failed in the 10 years we've owned the boat ( 3000hrs). The smoke is
not a killer yet, but I would like to solve the problem before it gets
worse.

I might want to have the fuel pumps checked at long as you are working
on the engines.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)