posted to rec.boats.paddle
Bill Tuthill

Default Salt River Paddle Trip from Roosevelt Lake to Granite Flat

wrote:
Has anyone tried to paddle from Roosevelt Lake to Granite Flat along
the Salt River. I was looking at this on Google Earth and was
wondering if the three dams at Apache, Canyon and Saguaro Lake can be
portaged? I am looking for a Canoe Camping/Fishing trip that will take
a few days in the Spring/Early Summer. I have canoed down the lower
Salt River from Saguaro Lake a thoroughly enjoyed it. Also I would
need to know of shore camping. I know you can camp at Coon's Bluff,
And up the River from Canyon Lake. Are there any restrictions along
this route?

This section is listed in the AWA inventory for Arizona. I forgot to
check my Anderson & Hopkinson book (at home) to see if they mention it.

http://americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/124

Speaking of oddball stretches of river to run, have you thought about
the "mightly" Humboldt across Nevada?

I have also found a guide for parts of the Colorado River along the
AZ/CA border at http://dbw.ca.gov/Publications.asp#C. There is one for
"Blythe to Imperial Dam" and one for "Davis Dam to Parker Dam".
I was wondering if anyone has details of the stretch between Parker
Dam and Blythe.

I did the section from Needles to Lake Havasu (in one day) and liked it
very much. Friends have run Black Canyon and like it as well. Those
are the most commonly boated stretches, but I see the former is not listed
in the AWA resource above.

http://dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/DavistoParker/DavistoParker.pdf
http://dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/BlythetoImper...toImperial.pdf

Those are beautiful PDF maps and guidebooks! The Davis to Parker guide
includes the section I did from Needles to Lake Havasu.