rhys

Default Mac 26

On 18 Nov 2005 10:25:03 -0600, Dave wrote:

On 17 Nov 2005 18:58:20 -0800, said:

I suspect that if most people here would
realistically assess their sailing, a Mac26 would be a better fit than
a heavy deep keel boat.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, David. There are an awful lot of
sailboat owners who are wrapped up in romantic images derived from years of
reading sailing magazines, and can't break out of that mind set. There are a
lot of others who for whom the Mac would not be suitable, and who derive a
great deal of pleasure from deriding as "not real sailors" anyone whose
needs and desires differ from their own.

This is true. I am considering a "heavy, full keel boat" for
passagemaking, and no doubt a lot of motoring, motorsailing and
waiting for wind. However, I want such a boat for reasons of safety,
durability, ease of repair, carrying capacity and pure strength should
I navigate onto the odd coral reef. But it'll still sail, just not
like a J/24

There are fast passagemakers, yes, but I haven't won a lottery. By the
way, my current boat is an IORish racer I use as a cruiser, about as
different from what I think my next boat will look like as a C&C 110
is from a Tayana 37.

R.