*JimH*

Default Going RADAR!

"Lloyd" wrote in message
news
Hi,
Well, after thinking about it for several years, I'm biting the bullet
and buying radar for Far Cove. I just want a Simple one that will tell me
if a freighter is bearing down on me 2 miles away in the fog. So I'm
getting the JRC 1000 - Steveston Marine has it for $1200.

This weekend, I'm just gonna duct-tape(?) the antenna to the dodger or
something, but I'd appreciate suggestions on where to mount on a 36ft
sailboat. Mast? Or separate mast on the stern? Or should I get a "radar
arch" and mount my VHF antenna, GPS antenna, radar, and solar panels on
it?

Also, where should I mount the display? I steer Far Cove from all over
the cockpit, rarely from behind the wheel, so a pedastal mount may not be
the best (maybe OK if it swivels...). And I'd have to remove it when I'm
leaving the boat. Or maybe under the dodger?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
http://www.bcboatnet.org/

Just attach a mounting platform to the mast and attach the radar unit to the
platform.

The display should be mounted at the main helm area. All your electronics
should be mounted in a central area. All displays should be removable and
taken off the boat when you leave.

How do you steer the boat from "all over the cockpit, rarely behind the
wheel.."???