Lawrence James

Default Installing a ski pylon

I like to use kitchen cutting board as backing. It cuts with wood tools,
adheres with epoxy, and will not rot. Bolt thru is best but even with wood
screws using a backing and a longer screw is much more secure. Investigate
behind where you will be drilling very carefully. Finding out there is a
problem with the location afte you drill holes is a bummer. Sometimes even
after I'm pretty certain I will drill the first hole with a 1/16 bit to
confirm it comes out when I think it is going to. Also use a bigger bit or
a counter sink to remove the gel coat around your holes before putting
screws in will help prevent cracks in the surrounding gelcoat.

"Ethan" wrote in message
et...
I am considering installing a ski pylon in my 19 foot bow rider that is
outfitted with a 115HP outboard. The pylon would have a center pole and

two
supporting poles. Are these difficult to install? What do you use as a
backing to support the load? What else should I know before taking on this
project. I can save about $150 if I do this myself.

Thanks

Ethan