Default Going RADAR!

Lloyd wrote:
Hi,
Well, after thinking about it for several years, I'm biting the bullet
and buying radar for Far Cove. I just want a Simple one that will tell me
if a freighter is bearing down on me 2 miles away in the fog. So I'm
getting the JRC 1000 - Steveston Marine has it for $1200.

This weekend, I'm just gonna duct-tape(?) the antenna to the dodger or
something, but I'd appreciate suggestions on where to mount on a 36ft
sailboat. Mast? Or separate mast on the stern? Or should I get a "radar
arch" and mount my VHF antenna, GPS antenna, radar, and solar panels on it?

Also, where should I mount the display? I steer Far Cove from all over
the cockpit, rarely from behind the wheel, so a pedastal mount may not be
the best (maybe OK if it swivels...). And I'd have to remove it when I'm
leaving the boat. Or maybe under the dodger?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
http://www.bcboatnet.org/

I'd get the array up as high as possible to improve coverage, and also
to keep it from washing over people in the cockpit or on deck. Some say
the jury is still "out" regarding any harmful effects from exposure to
radar at close range, but when it comes "in" it might be too late to do
anything about past exposures.