Black Dog

Default OT Global Warming Water Shortages

wrote:
Please note the paragraph:
All leading computer models of the global climate system indicate that
natural variability isn't enough to explain the changes being observed,
causing most observers to conclude that human activities, notably the
emission of carbon and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, are the
culprit.

These are the same computer models that can't predict the weather for
next week - but never mind that - chaos theory and all.

Let me first say that I am NOT right-wing or conservative or employed by
an oil company (I turned downed Esso in my 4th year university). I once
belonged to Greenpeace (their anti-fur campain which caused a lot of
problems for people living in arctic changed my mind about them). I do
have an M.Sc. in Geology and Geochemistry which makes me more a
scientist than any of the science reporters and many of the "climate
scientists".

I KNOW the so-called climate scientists claim that only 3% of the
warming can be accounted for by natural variation. But in the past,
natural variation caused 100% of the ice-ages and greenhouse ages the
Earth and all her inhabitants have lived through. Why not now? Because
we discovered Venus and her atmosphere and her greenhouse effect and
think it can happen here. Because we have raised the most spoiled
generation of humans ever - so spoiled we think we can control
EVERYTHING including the weather. And if it's bad it must be our fault.
Because we control everything, don't we?

There is a stunning correlation in the little bit of climate data we
have more than 100 years old (tree ring data, ice cores) and the known
maximums and minimums of sunspot activity (kept by Chinese astronomers
for centuries). What is more intersting to me is the very recent
occurances - 1999 was Solar Max, and one of the hottest years ever.
Before that 1988 - remember the year Yellowstone burned? Now in 2005 we
should be at a solar minimum and be observing a general cooling but
guess what - last time I checked there had been 17 major solar storms
this year - 5 more than in the 1999, the year they were supposed to max
out. So the sun has been extra busy this year - but I have yet to hear
a "climate scientist" mention it.

I find it kind of tragic that a science in it's infancy, namely
climatology, has been taken over by emotional and political forces. It
makes a reasoned debate/discussion impossible. I can't get a job in the
"Earth Sciences" field unless I toe the climate change line, I can't do
that because it is just bad science - I'd rather be a fortune teller or
TV preacher if I was going to make my living that dishonestly.