Terry Spragg

Default Mac 26

Dene wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

The thread about crossing the atlantic in a Mac 26 was getting too long
and isnt really interesting. HOWEVER, to say that a Mac 26 sails poorly
means little as so do other "real" sailboats like the entire Morgan
Outisland series. Remember the Westsail, Practical Sailor called it
the "Wet Snail" . As far as the Dawson 26 mentioned as an ocean
crosser in the other thread, PS called it the "Doghouse 26". So,
ultimate sailing ability may mean little.
Consider that most coastal cruiosers report spending about 70% of their
time motoring and you might get a different perspective on the Mac26.
You might consider it to be a motorboat with the ability to sail.
Unlike most motorboats, this one has the safety factor of being able to
sail home. Does this make it safer than the average motorboat used for
cruising?
Do the properties of the Mac26 allow its owners to go more places than
most other sailboats.......probably. Is the Mac26 safe enough compared
to most other motorboats to allow its owner to safely cruise over to
the Bahamas under power? Consider that its speed under power may allow
it to use narrow weather windows that other sailboats could not or that
time spent at sea might sdetermine your probability of getting caught
out in bad weatrher and maybe the Mac26 speed under power gives it an
edge in safety.
I do not see the Mac 26 as an ocean crosser but as a way for people to
sail in many places. True, they will almost always sail in wind less
than 20 kts but that is what most of us want to do anyway.

I'm on a learning curve in all things sailing, having only been on one once.
It seems that the Mac 26 is a hybrid which brings me to my question, is it
the design/versatility that a sailer purist abhors, or is it the quality of
workmanship, or both?

If the latter, are there hybrid boats that are built better, perhaps one
with a retractable/trailerable keel? Every time I fill up my recently
acquired powerboat, I think about the benefits of sailing.

-Greg

It is the windage of a large superstructure, and an outboard motor
in windy waters. It seems a seductive death trap. I am not sure I
would want to sail it in rough weather to find out how it goes.
Otherwise, it seems fine for a light pleasure toy, roomy,
comfortable, full of amenities.

Simple as that.

Terry K