Rural Knight

Default Boats, friends, cash and gas

"Paul Dougherty" wrote in message
om...
Hello Group,
I have a friend who I take out on my boat very often fishing. Grant
it, it is a small boat 16' 6". But it still runs on fuel. He never has
offered to pay for fuel or help to wash all the crude out of it from
fishing. I did invite him to go so I do not feel right asking him.

I invite people aboard my boats for a days fishing - nobody invites
themselves. If they or their friends offer gas money, I always turn
them down, but it is noted and they always get another invite to go.
I go with one guy who takes care of all the rigging and unrigging
when we make a run - his idea is that if I won't take money, maybe
I'll take the labor. Some of the guys I ask don't have the money to
pay for a day on the water, but they will bring fresh bait, etc. One
guy's wife cuts up fresh veggies, fruits and stuffs a Playmate cooler
with homemade iced tea for us to take.

My feeling is if I offer, then it's like inviting somebody over for
dinner - you don't expect them to bring something, but if they do,
so much the better.

I'm going fishing anyway - no skin off my nose. And in thinking
about it, I don't think I've ever had somebody not offer to pay for
gas or bring something to use like bait or food.

Later,

Tom