posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott

Default Ships Wheel Purchase

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:56:35 GMT, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

Folks, I bid on a ships wheel.
On eBay. And now, I need advice.

The price was low - $10 and the shipping was moderate.- $16.
So I won, and I paid fast, as I always do.

A few days later, I got an eBay note from the shipper saying he had
mistaken the shipping.
It came to $56 and could I help? And to let him know when I received
the wheel.

I was struck by the gentleness of this note.
While it is true I would not have bid on an impulse knowing the
shipping would be $56 (reminds me of those Chinese works of art - cost
$5, shipping $148) - I am inclined to favor the seller in some way.

Would anyone advise me?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

I would like to thank all the people who were kind enough to consider
my ethical position. It was much as Glenn warned: UPS is unkind to
bulky packages ; this one was just over an oversize boundary, so
qualifying for OS2 charges (ouch!) The handles measure about 32
inches tip to tip.

Here's what I wrote the vendor just now. I hope he thinks this is the
right thing to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Ron,

your package arrived today (thurday)
I checked the surcharge that UPS makes for this size of package -
dimensions 33 X 33 X 5 inches
Sure enough, $57 and change.

I noticed that the charge would have been $37 if the package was 4
inch thick not 5 inches.
The wheel arrived in good condition - but loose in the box - i.e. the
foam did not restrain it from the sides.
I appreciated your gentle mention of the loss you made on the
transaction. Here's what I suggest: you could have packed it in a 4
inch wide box. That would have cost $37 to ship. As it was - the UPS
calculator I used showed a $16 charge.
I think it would be a gesture of good will to offer you the shipping
cost you could have paid - $37. I paid $16 already so that would be
$21 more. If you feel that this completes the transaction with honor,
let me know, and I will forward $21 via Paypal.

Sincerely
(but sorry the deal was a loser for you....)

Regards

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

What do you think folks?

Brian