posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Garmin vs. Magellan or other, WTB

Yes, everyone is happy with what they have. I went for a Lowrance 320
now 480. Reason was it had the best I think sonar (for the price) and
the Mapcreate sw was reasonable and they DID NOT use proprietary flash
memory just the standard SDFlash. It just really gripes me when a
company takes industry standard stuff and tweaks it so that they can
resell it for 3X the price. It works great at high speeds even giving
me a reliable warning beep when I get into less than 3 ft.

Compared to Fugawi the Mapcreate is pretty weak but its ok. I've even
used it in the Suburban on long trips to keep me going where I'm
supposed to.

On seeing objects on it, I have an older friend (I'm young at 55) and
he went with a color version and it is easier to see things on it so
that might be a major criteria for, a color one that meets your
interests.

Have fun. It is amazing how good this stuff (most brands) really is
nowadays.

Don