Default How To Correctly Use Flush Adapter?

wrote:
I am trying to run a 1995 Mercury 115HP 2-stroke outboard motor for 10
minutes in order to get the treated fuel to the fuel system (for
winterizing). Because I am doing this out of the water, I need to use
a flush-earmuffs to pump water to the lower unit. But I am having some
problems in using the flush-earmuffs:

- I was setting the water pressure to about half way. But I didn't
see the "telltale" sign of water stream coming out from the back of the
motor when I was running the motor. All I saw was water coming out
from around the flush-earmuff, and from around the propeller. Is that
normal? Should I increase the water pressure (knowing that I should
not use full water pressure)?

- I saw that the engine temperature steadily went up from 100-degree
to 170-degree (during the period of 4 minutes). At that point, I was
afraid that I might overheat the motor; therefore, I turned off the
motor. Did the motor not getting enough water cooling?

- During the sea-trial of the boat just a couple weeks ago, I saw the
telltale sign of water coming out from the back of the motor.
Therefore, I know that the water pump worked. I am wondering why the
flush earmuffs doesn't seem to delivery the desired result?

- I guess one of the alternative is to put the motor into a water tank
instead of using a flush earmuff. Where can I find a water tank big
enough for a 115HP outboard motor? I measure that the water tank needs
to be at least 21" tall and 24" wide. I have a feeling that a plastic
container probably will not hold up the water pressure, right? Where
do people get their water tanks for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

I've never had any trouble running an outboard on the muffs. I'd try
adjusting the pressure, if I knew that the water temperature was
getting warm enough to open the thermostat.