Jasen Betts

Default Inverter Wiring Question

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.boats.electronics.]
On 2005-11-14, Hoo wrote:
My boat has two 120 volt circuits with a common neutral wire similar
to most homes. Normally they are supplied with 220 volts from either
a generator or shore power (120-0-120). There are no 220 volt
appliances or circuits out of the breaker panel.

I would like to be able to feed both 120 volt legs with a single 120
volt inverter through a rotary selector switch (both legs in phase,
instead of 180 degrees out of phase). There would be no possibility
of backfeed or cross connection with shore/generator power.

Does anyone know of any issues with doing that?

make sure your neutral wire is thick eough (or fuse your supply's
live output apropriate to its thickness) as the neutral wire will be
acrrying upto twice as much current as it would have with the two
180 degree phases.

--

Bye.
Jasen