Thom Stewart

Default The Gaff Rig

Nutsy.

I'm old enough to remember those Gaff Rigs. Learned to sail on a Gaff
Rigged Cat work Boat. Drooled about owning a "Friendship Sloop!"
BUT;----Nutsy that Gaff Boom; still lives in my mind as a thing of
terror. It is necessary to raise a gaff ( No batten will do the job).
Nothing, I mean nothing can match the pain of a Jam Jaws on a Gaff Boom.
Also; nothing can match the Heart Pumping of a Gybe of a Gaff Rig, not
to even mention an "Accidental Jibe" Nutsy, you've never experienced
"Weather Helm" until you've sailed a Gaffer off the wind. It was the
Gaff Rig that invented the Barn Door, transom hung rudder.

All that be said; My heart skips a beat at the thought of a "Friendship
on a reach". One of your nickname came from that boat; "Bowsprit" was
what they put on the New England Catboat to carry a head sail to reduce
that damn weather helm. Tamed it enough to be a "Friend"

Are memories;--- but that was long ago;
Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage