Default How to Check If Oil Injection System Is Working Or Not?

Mix appropriate fuel/oil mix in a six gallon can. Pull the hoses off
of the oil injectors and run the engine off of the pre-mixed oil. The
maintenance manual should outline this procedure and give you a rough
volume per injector to expect.

I am a bit confused with the suggestion. I guess the purpose of
pulling the hose off the oil injector is to make sure I would not
double-up with too much oil. But what does this have to do with
finding out the rough volumn per injector to expect? Please clarify.
Thanks.

Would the motor sound alarm if it doesn't get any oil from its oil
injection system?

I hope I will find out the answer from the motor maintenance manual
that I mail-ordered yesterday.

It may be that the oil injection system is deactivated, broken, or
that the previous owner hedged his bets by adding a little "extra" oil
in case of failure of the lube system. Small chance, too, that the
engine is newly rebuilt and needs this of "over lubrication" during
the break-in period.

I agree that this is not likely to be a case of "after rebuilt and need
to be over-lubricated". Otherwise, the seller would surely have
advertised the fact that the motor has been rebuilt recently -- this is
actually a selling point.

I hope this is simply a case of the ex-owner is hedging his bet. But I
would not surprised that the oil injection system is broken.

Since there is already oil in the tank..... it probably would be very
wise to figure out exactly *why*..... ignorance might turn out to be
really expensive....

I agree with this. I need to bring it in for service to see if the
marine mechanic can figure it out and maintain the motor.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jay Chan