WebColin

Default Which cities have ocean access?

Sorry, sent from my wife's account earlier. Colin here.

I do love Burlington. It's been one of my top choices all along. However, I
like to be thorough.

Thanks,
Colin

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
In article VPlef.238$Sb.141@trndny03,
"Aimee Shimlis" wrote:

I'm very new to boating/sailing and want to move to a place where I will
be
close to water with ocean access. I have not been able to find a
comprehensive list of U.S. (or global) cities or towns with ocean access.
assume all cities on the ocean have access (or at least are near access),
but what about towns like Burlington, VT - can I sail north to the Saint
Lawrence or south down the Hudson and reach the ocean? Could I get back
the
same way? What about Bangor, ME? Rochester, NY (and other Great Lake
towns)?
etc.

Do I have to pay to use locks or would I have free access? Which channels
are navigable by sail versus which need power?

For any given town, I can look up if it has ports, but it's often hard to
tell if there is a 2-way route to sea. Also, I'm trying to find a list of
all towns with access, not just one at a time. Maybe I just need a good
set
of charts which shows river currents and depth. Would they also show
ports?
Is there a good book on cities with ocean access?

Are there other factors I need to consider in selecting a city/town with
port?

Thanks so much,
Colin

Aimee, from Burlington VT, the easiest way is down the Canals (free),
down the Hudson, and out into the Ocean. I have not gone up North yet
but a few have.

However, (either way) sailboats are required to drop their masts (most
pick Westport NY and raise them in Kingston NY). I have not done it on
my sailboats but my son and I went down by powerboat. Abusing ourselves
(leaving my home in Malletts Bay at 7:30 AM to reach the canals at 10 AM
and getting yelled at by the lock meisters who figure out your speed by
your passage times, it takes a minimum of two very hard days to reach
the ocean. On a sailboat, figure three - four. Most sailors motor from
Whitehall NY (or even before) to NYC because the Hudson (and the
entrance to Whitehall) is not the widest of rivers and some places are
dwarfed by mountains (e.g., Bear Mountain area)

Unlike the other towns you mention, although our sailing (and boating
season is short (Late May - October) I would assert we have one of the
most beautiful boating regions in the country (nestled between two
mountain ranges), fresh water (better for swimming and boat
maintenance), great cruising, and no fog.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?