Jim Cate

Default Running Aground

I ran aground at our marina last month. - It turned out that the bottom
near the pier in the section at which I attempted to dock the boat had a
localized shallow area due to earth seeping down from the bank adjacent
the pier, leaving a depth of only 1.5 feet or so. - (I had actually
checked the depth along most of the pier earlier and found it to be 4-6
feet, but I missed the one section at which I attempted to dock.) Since
it was at the pier, I was able to lift the rudders and centerboard and
rock the boat off the bar.

This is one advantage of a boat with retractable keel or dagger board,
in that it's usually possible to raise the board and float the boat into
deeper water.

Jim

Capri wrote:

In another post here a new sailor asked about what to do when he runs
aground. He was smart enough not to ask what to do WHEN not IF he runs
aground. For even though you have the best charts and atre the most
diligent about watching where you are going you will eventually run
aground. MY first experience with it was on the ICW south of Cocoa and
Just North of the Pineda Causeway. Beautiful day. Wind out of the east
all sails pulling full, Main, jib and Mizzen, running down what I
thought was the middle of the channel making at least 6 knots, when all
of a sudden we hit a sand bar in about 2 feet of water. Maggie Mae drew
about 4.6. so all of a sudden we were hard aground heeled over on the
side. I made sure everyone was OK then proceeded to call Sea Tow,
Thank goodness we had a contract with them so it didn't cost anything
for them to take us off. I had let the boat wander just a few yards out
of the channel. All my fault. Never happened again. Well, execpt for
the night the anchor dragged when we were all asleep onboard.......but
thats another story. Anyone else have any good grounding tales?