Aimee Shimlis

Default Which cities have ocean access?

I'm very new to boating/sailing and want to move to a place where I will be
close to water with ocean access. I have not been able to find a
comprehensive list of U.S. (or global) cities or towns with ocean access. I
assume all cities on the ocean have access (or at least are near access),
but what about towns like Burlington, VT - can I sail north to the Saint
Lawrence or south down the Hudson and reach the ocean? Could I get back the
same way? What about Bangor, ME? Rochester, NY (and other Great Lake towns)?
etc.

Do I have to pay to use locks or would I have free access? Which channels
are navigable by sail versus which need power?

For any given town, I can look up if it has ports, but it's often hard to
tell if there is a 2-way route to sea. Also, I'm trying to find a list of
all towns with access, not just one at a time. Maybe I just need a good set
of charts which shows river currents and depth. Would they also show ports?
Is there a good book on cities with ocean access?

Are there other factors I need to consider in selecting a city/town with a
port?

Thanks so much,
Colin