Wayne.B

Default Cruising RPM vs. WOT

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:57:51 -0700, "TJF"
wrote:
My question is, what is a good RPM for cruising without thrashing on the
motor and leading to premature engine failure? The recommended RPM seems a
little high compared to what my truck's RPM is cruising down the interstate
(2800 RPM). Any suggestions?

For a gas engine with WOT in the normal range (as yours is),
recommended cruising RPM is about 70% of WOT, typically 3200 to 3400.

At 70% you will be developing about 50% of the engines rated power
since horsepower varies as the square of RPMs (.7 x .7 = .49).