DSK

Default Header or lift

"J B" wrote...
You gentlemen need to learn the terms of sailing. When steering the
marks
it's a header or a lift, not feather up or down or whatever, steer
according to the wind.... make headway when you can and adjust
accordingly.

Umm... no. Think velocity, not shifts.

A header or lift is a change in the winds direction, relative to which
tack you are one. Feathering (as I've always heard it used) is when you
get a gust and head a little higher to depower the boat and gain some
distance to windward, rather than either heel more or ease the sail.

Capt.Mooron wrote:
What the hell... you think you have the monopoly on correct sailing
terminology for the entire planet?

Maybe he does.

The Captain I learned to sail with used to refer to "Pinching & Pumping"....
falling off to gain speed and heading up to make point in light air. It also
worked great in gusty conditions when reefing was not practical for a short
run.

Basically... terminology is fine around the club house... but you can see a
real sailor by how he moves his boat.

True.

Unlike most... I've sailed a 30 ft full keel sloop for a year without an
engine. Now that teaches you how to handle a vessel much better than a
hundred books on polars and technical jargon. Don't believe me... try
sailing from a lee dock in 20kts with vessels astern and ahead.

Is that difficult or something?

... I had no
choice but to sail to a slip. I set anchor under sail and learned to plan my
entry and exits.

Well, good. The next step is to get a tippy hi-performance dinghy and
learn to sail it without embarassment. If you value heavy weather
skills, an afternoon of sailing a 14' crew-ballasted centerboarder in 20
knots will teach you more than years of sailing a heavy 30 footer in
much stronger winds.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King