Capt.Mooron

Default Header or lift

What the hell... you think you have the monopoly on correct sailing
terminology for the entire planet?

The Captain I learned to sail with used to refer to "Pinching & Pumping"....
falling off to gain speed and heading up to make point in light air. It also
worked great in gusty conditions when reefing was not practical for a short
run.

Basically... terminology is fine around the club house... but you can see a
real sailor by how he moves his boat.

Unlike most... I've sailed a 30 ft full keel sloop for a year without an
engine. Now that teaches you how to handle a vessel much better than a
hundred books on polars and technical jargon. Don't believe me... try
sailing from a lee dock in 20kts with vessels astern and ahead. I had no
choice but to sail to a slip. I set anchor under sail and learned to plan my
entry and exits.

CM

"J B" wrote in message
You gentlemen need to learn the terms of sailing. When steering the
marks
it's a header or a lift, not feather up or down or whatever, steer
according to the wind.... make headway when you can and adjust
accordingly.
Point as high as you need to make the mark and hope something doesn't
bite
you in the ass on a tack , that would be the move across the wind Rob ,
overrun a winch or whatever. The boat is as fast as the person sailing it.
First 35s5 may be fast but I can make it faster with my sailing ability
(Come on, Fat man on the rail ,, Knows how to sail.)
JB