Eisboch

Default What are those wooden poles that stick up randomly out of the water by river shorelines?

Ryan Cabanas wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

A guess, but they may be winter mooring markers. Here in MA, the mooring
float balls used during the summer are replaced in the winter with wooden
"sticks".

Eisboch