Terry Spragg

Default buoy interpretation

d parker wrote:
"Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com wrote in message

snip

Ok....better question. When I run aground, what's the first thing I
should
do? ;

-Greg

Heal the boat over. If your lucky, youre gounded on the windward side of the
chanel and you will blow off.

You can heal the boat by moving heavy objects and people. Sitting people on
the end of a strong boom can help immensely( does depend on the boat tho).
Backing sails. Filling sails. there are lots of ways. Of course this only
works in a single hulled monohull.

Anther trick is a Kedging anchor. Row away from the boat with a good anchor
in the tender.Once as far away as possible lower the anchor into the water.
Row back to the stranded vessel and start to which in the anchor via a sheet
winch if needed.

At very worst start emptying water tanks and removing heavy objects from the
boat.

A point worth noting , when I navigate a new channel I always stick to the
windward side if there is no traffic. For the very reason that it is easy to
get off it a grounding occurs. Yes, I know this is in breach of Colregs.
Shh, I wont tell if you dont )

Cheers
DP

Also, consider tide and currents. Sometimes the easy way to get off
is to have dinner and wait for the tide. Sailing a bilge keeler,
the best way is often to loose sheets, boat rights itself and drifts
off, or further on.

Terry K