Mike Beede

Default WTB Kayak plans

In article oTndf.5414$GB1.4443@trndny06,
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Mike Beede wrote:
In article 3FFcf.7336$941.840@trndny02,
Brian Nystrom wrote:

It's illegal to sell "used" kayak plans. When you purchase plans, you
purchase the right to build one boat with them. Designers have a right
to expect to be paid for their expertise. They have to make a living, too.

Do you have a citation for this law? I'd have imagined that
like any other copyrighted material that you could resell it to
your heart's content.

Then you apparently have no idea what a "copyright" means. What do you
think all the lawsuits over distributing music over the internet and
pirating software are about? Do you think you can just copy a book or
video and sell it?

I assume we're talking about the United States here. I don't know
what the law is elsewhere. In the U.S., if I buy a copyrighted work,
I have the absolute right to sell it to anyone I like. I didn't see
you say anything about selling copies of plans. You said "it's illegal
to sell `used' kayak plans." Perhaps you took my "to your heart's content"
to mean copying. That wasn't my intent.

I'd still like a citation on what law prevents the sale of used
kayak plans.

Mike Beede