Capt. Rob

Default Finally...The Better Boat Defined

Jeff says that performance is actually a measure of how satisfied you
are by your boat, and not the actual relative performance. Well, right
after I went to feed my Tribbles, I gave that some thought. So let's
all journey to Jeff's world (don't forget your space suit and light
sabre) and look at who's more satisfied with their boat...

Jeff said the following negative comments of his PDQ:
1) It's not good in light air
2) The helm is lacking feel at times
3) It's tedious to tack and...
4) no good for short tacking
5) New versions have dagger boards and better upwind ability
6) She can be bounced around by winds while maneuvering

Now let's look at what I don't like about the 35s5:
1) Fridge is a bit too small
2) Don't like the stool at nav station-may replace.

Well, there you have it. We sailed the 35s5 in light and heavy
conditions. Loved it. Tacked like dream on a greased dime and flew on
every point of sail. We found it comfortable and ultra fast and fun.
Sailing under main alone she was like a huge Laser and quite easy to
keep on her feet. So she can be sailed hard for fun, or easy for more
relaxed days with Thomas aboard. I was worried about the wheel being
too far aft, but it turned out to be a non-issue in practice. We find
the interior simply perfect and quite beautiful. She is among the very
few boats in her size/price range to have room for someone 6'3 tall.
So based on Jeff's criteria we're more satisfied with our boat than he
is with the PDQ. The only things we don't like can be corrected if we
want. Not the case for the hobbled PDQ. Now granted we haven't spent a
season with the 35s5 yet. I'll be sure to list things we don't like.
But at this point in time WE HAVE THE BETTER BOAT!

RB
35s5...the BEST boat (Though Scotty may have less problems with his!)
NY