Butch Davis

Default Add used oil to diesel fuel?

Steve,

Perhaps you missed the part where I said that the "Racor filter I always
installed on my vehicles' fuel lines would do a good enough job of removing
anything harmful"?

Butch
"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:11:30 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

John,

In the fleet application I used Racor's system which included filtration.
On my personal diesel vehicles I simply added the oil directly from the
crankcase to a nearly full fuel tank. My reasoning was that the lube oil
was well filtered by the oil filter and that the after market Racor filter
always installed in my vehicles' fuel lines would do a good enough job of
removing anything harmful.

That's not very good reasoning for 2 reasons... first, the typical auto
oil filter probably doesn't do as good a job as the racor fuel filter
made for the task of filtering diesel fuel. And second, if you left the
oil filter in long enough for it to get clogged, the bypass valve will
open and it won't filter the oil at all. And since you can't measure
the pressure difference across the filter, you have no idea whether the
bypass valve opened or not.

If you're gonna put the crankcase oil into the fuel system, filter it
first. Don't depend on the crankcase oil filter.

Steve