FREDO

Default Trailer That Has a Surge Brake Makes Noise When Start Towing?

Also make sure the hitch grease points are fully lubricated for the surge
brake hitch on the trailer.
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
When I released the brake in the towing vehicle and started towing, I
often heard noise coming from behind me (likely coming from the
connection between the towing vehicle and the trailer). Is it a
standard behavior of a surge brake?

I am wondering the surge brake might have engaged when I stopped the
car, and it remained engaged. When I released the brake in the towing
vehicle and stepped on the gas panel, the surge brake could not respond
fast enough to release its brake. That caused the hitch ball of the
towing vehicle to impact on the coupler of the trailer, and this made
noise. Is my understanding correct? If this was the case, I should go
easy on the gas panel when I go from stop to start the vehicle.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

You get a lot of clunking if the brakes are not working. If there is air
in the lines, or the brake shoes are out of adjustment. Take it by a
brake shop and have them check the brakes.