clifto

Default OT: FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Jack Erbes wrote:
Andy Devine was the character Jingles or Jingles P. Jones, he was in a
number of Roy Rogers movies as that character. And he played the
Jingles character in numerous other movies, in TV, etc.

I don't ever recall seeing him with Roy Rogers, but he was definitely
a sidekick to Wild Bill Hickok on a television series. I *think* this
is how his picture, riding a horse, came to appear on a Kellogg's cereal
(Sugar Pops?) during the period. I have very vivid memories of the
intro to the show, in which Jingles, lagging behind, rides like hell to
catch up and yells, "Hey, Wild Bill, wait fer me!"

There was also a children's show of some sort called Andy's Gang. It was
sponsored by Buster Brown Shoes and borrowed the tune from the Buster
Brown jingle for its theme song: "I've got a gang / you've got a gang /
everybody's gotta have a gang / but the only gang / that's made for me /
GOOD OLD ANDY'S GANG!"

He was also a ham radio operator. I heard him on the air exactly one time
in my life, having a conversation with some people he apparently knew.
Seemed like the entire world recognized the voice and wanted to work
him, including me, but I know I never got through the pileup.

The above was all from memory, but I found a few pages to back it up
such as http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/andys-gang.htm.