Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Leader length for trolling

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:28:01 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

SWF,
From you smile, I assume your rant was not an attack on anyone, but just to
a misconception that many people have. If the leader is not used to create
a more attractive "bait" for the fish to hit, what is the reason for the
leader? I understand that a metal leader is used to stop the fish from
cutting the line, but why use a 25 ft leader? In my ignorance, I have
always thought the long leader line was used because it was invisible in the
water, and would look more like a bait fish instead of bait being dragged
though the water.

Is your suggestion that John H. can just use a 2 ft. leader instead of his
30 ft. leader he has been using?

Yes.

A lot of fishing is personal opinion, experience and ability to
translate experience into catching fish. In some things, assumptions
are made that may not be accurate or based on anything scientific. It
seems that most "opinion" is actually anecdotal and not studied with
any type of rigor.

If you read between the lines of the various studies on fish behavior,
it seems more related to time, place and weather than having the color
lure or leader du jour.

If you have ever been to one of those sporting shows where they have
the "hog" tank, you will see what I mean. These fish are transported
from a farm, put into the tank, they are "fished" all weekend in
demonstrations - they sure as hell aren't "spooked".

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)