Lloyd Sumpter

Default Help with fuel consumption?

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:07:55 +0000, Bill Kiene wrote:

Hi All,

A fishing buddy has a 17.5' Crestliner walk through aluminum boat with a
Volvo 3.0 GS (4 cylinder 120 hp) I/O.

It goes 30 mph @ 4000 rpm and top speed is 39 mph.

What should his fuel consumption be for this boat while cruising @ 30 mph?

He is wondering if his boat is consuming more fuel than it should be.

Thanks for any help.

Hmmm... most replies don't seem to be addressing the question: ie what
SHOULD his fuel consumption be (not "how to improve fuel consumption").

I'll take a Wild Stab: I had an 18ft Campion with a 120hp 4-cyl
Mercruiser. It was quite a bit heavier that yours, had a top end around
30mph iirc. And iirc (it was a few years ago) I got about 4-5mpg at
cruise (20-25mph). I'd guess you should be getting around 5 or so.

Does this help?
Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36