Peggie Hall

Default No Discharge Zone

Captain Joe Redcloud wrote:

A "no-discharge zone" is different than the general prohibition
concerning the 3 mile limit. There are plenty of places in the US
where you can discharge "treated waste" from a Lectra-San type unit.
Those units are completely illegal in a no-discharge zone unless they
have a holding tank to use while in those areas. I am not sure they
can even be fitted with a holding tank.

Yes, they can. You're correct that the discharge of treated waste from
a USCG certified Type I or II MSD (device that treats waste to legal
standards and discharges it overboard is legal in most COASTAL US
waters, but not in any water specifically designated "no discharge."
However, any boat equipped with a treatment device only needs to have a
holding tank too--and use it of course--while in "no discharge" waters.
In fact, almost all boats fitted with treatment devices also have a tank
for use if/when they visit a "no discharge" harbor or marina.

While we're on the subject...there is nothing that can be added to
holding tank to make it legal to dump it in ANY US waters. Only devices
that have been certified by the USCG as Type I (legal on boats 66' LOA)
or Type II (required for boats 66'+ LOA) are legal treatment devices.
Nor is it legal to flush directly overboard or dump a tank in any U.S.
water...you must be outside the "3 mile limit" to flush a toilet
directly overboard or dump a tank legally. That doesn't mean 3 miles
from shore in the middle of LIS, the Chesapeake, SF Bay, Puget Sound
etc...it means open ocean at least 3 miles from the nearest point on the
whole US coastline.
--
Peggie