Bill McKee

Default Submerge the Trailer When We Launch a Boat?

wrote in message
On 9 Nov 2005 11:00:46 -0800, wrote:

This sounds odd. Having a brake in the trailer should help the
stopping power and is a good thing, right? Why would anyone want to
avoid having a brake system if the towing load demands its use? People
must have been buying undersized trailers because of the low price, not
because their being brakeless.

If you dunk brakes in salt water they won't last long.
I suppose you cas flush them with fresh water every time but you are
still soaking all that hardware and allowing it to rust up.

The law requires brakes on boat trailers over a given weight. 3000# in
California, and I would hate to tow my 4400# rig, even with my 3/4 ton truck
without brakes. I used to get about 2 years out of a set of Drum brakes. I
am going on 3 years with my Kodiak disk brakes, and they have been
fantastic. Stop well, and even the pads were still in great shape. Did
change pads this year, as lost a wheel bearing and another nice thing about
disk brakes. They kept the wheel from leaving the trailer. The rotor did
wipe out the pad and itself. You just lean over the fender and hose off the
brakes.