Brian

Default How Exactly Do We Mix Oil With Fuel?

Hey all, I post this to be shot down. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I've owned 2 cycle outboards off and on for over 30 years. All Evinrude and
Johnson.
The few problems I ever had with them were related to the outdrive (once,
for age) or were electrical (periodic, for submersion in sal****er).
At a marina, most places will put it in last. When refilling a partially
full tank, it is hard to know how much oil to put in until you know how much
gas you put in.
Personally, I've added the oil first and last. First for empty tanks, last
for partials.
The oil is completely soluble in gasoline and will naturally disburse in a
short period of time.

This may be a bit dated, but the anecdote is that oil injections systems and
their alarms may fail.
The downside is your engine will overheat and you will sputter to a stop.
The upside, when working properly (which is usual), is that they do
accurately apply the correct amout of oil, which reduces smoking, polution
and possibly oil usage.

On the occasions where I or someone (the guy at the marina) forgot the oil,
we sputtered to a stop, deliberated, divined the error and added the oil.
Then we resumed our fun.
On the occasions where I or someone (it was me) doubled the oil, we smoked
quite a bit until our next tank.

I don't recommend forgetting the oil or accidently doubling it, but if on
rare occasions it happens, it is not catastrophic.
If you, someone else or the oil injector messes up often, it probably could
be.

My suggestion is to use the oil injection system and periodically give the
oil level a visual inspection during use.
It may be hard to tell with light usage, but over time you will be able to
tell.
If you sputter to a stop and the oil isn't being used, put oil in the gas.

The absolute here is to always keep a quart or two of the 2 cycle engine oil
on the boat.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an oil-injection 2-stroke Mercury outboard motor that doesn't
need to pre-mix oil with fuel. I was told that the the oil injection
system of Mercury outboard motor is not quite good, and I might be
better off pre-mixing the oil with fuel instead of relying on the oil
injection system. This means I probably need to know how to mix oil
with fuel.

I had mixed oil with fuel for an 2-stroke lawn equipment that I rarely
use. That lawn equipment barely works and may have something to do
with I am not mixing oil/fuel correctly. Therefore, my experience on
mixing oil with fuel is scant, and I am not sure if that is comparable
with doing this for a boat.

My questions a

- How do we mix it? Am I supposed to do this:
(1) Half-fill the portable gas container.
(2) Pour oil into the container.
(3) Fill up the portable gas container.
(4) Shake the container violently.

- How long should I shake the container? Let's say it is a 10-gal
container.

- How big a container should I get to pair with a 44-gal fuel tank in
my boat? Should I get one 10-gal container or should I get four 10-gal
containers? I guess we only need one container; but I am not sure.

- Do we refill the gas container in a gas station in this way with
one 10-gal container:
(1) Ask the gas station attendant to half-fill the 10-gal container.
(New Jersey doesn't allow self-service)
(2) Add oil into the container.
(3) Ask the gas station attendant to fill up the container.
(4) Shake the container violently.
(5) Load the gas container on top of the boat, and pour
the mixture into the hole for gas.
(6) Don't pay the gas station attendant just yet.
Repeat step-1 to step-5 for three more times or until
the fuel tank in the boat is full. Meanwhile, the gas
station attendant is rolling his eyes, and other
customers are waiting not very patiently.
(7) Finally, pay the gas station attendant.

Is this really how we get fuel for our boats in New Jersey
where self-service is not allowed? Do we need to get four
10-gal gas containers to avoid this situation? Do we need
to re-fuel only in off-hour?

Thanks in advance.

Jay Chan