Brian Whatcott

Default Building a small Catamaran using pine and spruce.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:57:09 -0600, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

///r I had some very clear (no knots) spruce 2*4*8 pieces and a large
number of cottage grade (cut very thin) tongue and groove pine pieces also 8
feet long. I quickly realized that I could make all the needed wooden parts
out of these materials but short of encasing in epoxy what is the best way to
extend the life of these woods if they come in say monthly contact with water?

///
Any thing I missed?

Earl Colby Pottinger

Several people have suggested it: for a budget boat (and you must know
that clear spruce can have great strength/weight but it is not durable
nor water -resistant.) you could use premium water-base 25 year
external house paint. More water restance for the buck than any other
coat, probably. Or oil-base house paint. But tougher to clean up -
with costly (?) solvent.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK