Mika

Default Winter battery removal

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:17:50 GMT, Don White

Popular widsom has it that the batteries should be removed from the
boat before winteer storage. The boat will be stored outside, here in
Montreal,.

Question is, why can the batteries not be left in the boat if they are
fully charged before the winter and charged again in the spring?

I'd bet over your 4 month winter the battery would discharge and freeze
if just left outside. The question is...do you want a reliable battery
to use in the spring?

My boat is stored outside, over 6 months every winter, temperature
here in Finland being sometimes -30C...

No problems leaving fully charged battery in the boat with one wire
disconnected. Used to charge the battery once during winter. Would
start my diesel on first try in spring.

This year I connected a small 5 watt solar panel. Though there will be
_no_ sunlight for about a month in December

Mika

A bad day on the water is better than a great day on land.

Lähetätkö e-mailia? Vaihda osoitteen eka (vai oliko se toka?)
kahdeksikko numeroksi viisi.